The first unit I’m covering in the 8th grade English course is a collection of entries written based on the letters in the words “Middle School.” This unit is a modified version of one I found on a terrific website where students wrote one entry for each letter of the entire alphabet. Taking the timeframe into account, this shortened project still offered the same benefits in a more approachable manner.
As a class, students first participated in an activity that highlighted their similarities and differences with their classmates and helped them think of descriptive words. We then brainstormed possible topics students could use to write about for their various letters. Students then began writing an entry for each letter that shared something about them during their middle school career.
- Students will write an autobiography using the letters of the word “Middle School.”
- Students will describe significatn life events and interests.
- Students will assess their entries using a checklist.
- 1″ margins on all sides
- Title in 24pt font, bold, centered
- Body in 16pt font, left aligned
- Friday, December 19th (unless student has a planned absence, then it is due before they leave)
- This project is worth a total of 75 points.
- 60 points for the completion and quality of each entry.
- 10 points for making use of class work time and computer lab time.
- 5 points for spelling, grammar, mechanics and presentation of project as a whole.
Students will have had a total of 6 days in the computer lab to work on this writing project. We have worked on revising skills such as using action verbs, vivid words, and varying how they begin their sentences. We will likely revisit these skills several times throughout the school year so students continue to see theconnection within their own writing.